New Chronic Kidney Disease DrawingOut workshop and bookletDecember 17, 2019
A new booklet about Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) based on the DrawingOut method has been produced. It uses the artwork and words of young adults with this disease, and of specialists who support them.
The workshop was based on The DrawingOut method. Participants were invited to use drawing and collage to illustrate their experiences as patients and practitioners.
- Four young adults aged 19-27 who are currently experiencing CKD.
- A youth worker, a social worker, a patient advocate and a counsellor, who all specialize in supporting individuals with CKD.
Main discussion points
- The impact of illness on quality of life, relationships and future outlook.
- The lack of understanding in the general population of CKD as an invisible illness.
- The positives and negatives of using healthcare services.
- Professional experiences of supporting people with CKD, and the challenges of doing so in a healthcare system under growing pressure.
- Lilly Rushby; MA Student, School of English, Communication and Philosophy (ENCAP), Cardiff University
- Dr Lisa El Refaie, ENCAP, Cardiff University
- Dr Sofia Gameiro, ENCAP, Cardiff University
Supported by: The Can Do Project, Kidney Wales
With Funding From: Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)